Mel & Joey and the fortune-tellers

LAST NIGHT, DURING THE show Mel & Joey, Mel Tiangco quoted, “Kapag new year, binubukasan ko lahat ng pintuan, lahat ng bintana, lahat ng drawer, cabinet. Pati lahat ng ilaw, mga radyo nakatodo lahat, nakabukas lahat. Tapos ‘pag 12 midnight na, naghahalikan kaming lahat, at nagyayakapan.”

Candidly, I don’t know if the sequence in the sentence is right. But I am definite that the essence of what she said is there.

If I would translate if to English, she said that during New Year, she unbolts all her doors, windows, and drawers and cabinets of her house. As well, she turns on all the lights and all radios are ranting. Then when 12 midnight falls, it has been a habit for her family to snuggle, nuzzle and embrace all and sundry and to kiss one another.


Abruptly, I was supposing that if all doors, windows, and cabinets and drawers are unbolted, then when the wind blows, it shall whisk all things (especially the content of the cabinets and drawers) like a tornado ripping trees and houses. Therefore, it’s a sign of ill-fate.

Then, even before I thought of something else, Joey spoke about it.

He said, “Eh mag-ingat ka, baka bigla ang kahalikan mo magnanakaw na. Eh, binuksan mo lahat-lahat baka mapasukan ka na niyan ng mga magnanakaw…”

(Laugh) I never thought that Joey can think of that even before I thought of it…

Fairly speaking, he was hilarious, and that was the first time he inadvertently made me laugh – in my entire life, I never even sniggered at his jokes.

****

Conversing about Mel and Joey, they have guests last night who are “fortune-tellers” from fields that pole apart. The first one was a psychic, the second one was an astrologer, and the third one… I can’t remember.

It’s just very hilarious to hear them prognosticate what will happen in the year 2009. They were generally asked of the year’s future, and then each of them answered.

Of course, I can hardly recall the lines. However, all of them answered one thing in common – that the year 2009 would be harder than the past year; still, those people who strive assiduously will subjugate all challenges.

Now, that’s what I call playing safe….

(The rationale: If you’re a fortune-teller, you would answer a “general and monotonous knowledge” that most people know. I wouldn’t actually need a psychic or an astrologer to know that; it’s just a matter of common sense. They played safe to avoid committing mistakes in their predictions that will be shown in the national television.)

No comments: