Tamilok, seafoods, and my self

DURING OUR FIRST NIGHT in Palawan, we ate at Kinabuch’s, which is a bistro in Puerto Princesa that serves exotic food. The best among the rest is tamilok, a kind of worm that is found in mangroves. The worst part is that they actually serve it raw!

My colleagues tried the delicacy – Pamela, April, Mitch, Tim, Genesis, Michelin and Ma’am Tina (our adviser in The Pioneer). They actually confessed that they felt as if they ingested bottles of San Miguel Light.

Mitz (Michelin) said it flavors like oyster that has a wood-like after-taste that when you burp, you feel like you’ve eaten wood over and over again. Everyone else concurred. Most of them got dizzy. Some of them wanted to vomit.



Conversely, I’m still a killjoy. I didn’t taste it; not even a bit. Tim told me, “Tikman mo na. Hindi ka nag-Palawan kapag hindi mo ito natikman…” However, I was like a platinum wall – no one can break me, no one can ever command me.

I remember I also don’t eat seafood. Yesterday, Ma’am Daisy and Ines (Ma’am Daisy is a staff of OSAFA and Ines is a BS Pharmacy student who’s running for TOS) found out that I don’t do so. Well, I never did since I was a child.

It started with my arachnophobia. Then, I used to relate crabs with spiders because of their multitudinous feet. Afterwards, all kinds of seafood, for me, are cursed with their association with crabs.

On the other hand, squids are disgusting.

My fear and dislike of seafood, as well as other exotic delicacies, has contributed to the person that I am today. (No matter what and who I am…)

(Now, breathe and relax. I guess you’re flabbergasted with my unorthodox thinking… But it’s true!)

Most people tell me, “You’re missing half of your life!”

Then I just flash a smile that it means as if I’m saying, “Okay, it’s your opinion.”

Yet in my mind, I suppose I’m just being real to my self. I respect what I want and what I abhor.

After all, it’s better to miss half of my life than to capitulate half of my self!

No comments: