I forgot to tell Madame Ambassador that…

THE ACCOLADE THAT THE ambassador told me could have earned me a new career, I suppose. (Conversely, it increased my confidence regardless if it’s true or false.) However, I’m not the type who’s predisposed with the gift of public relation (PR). I don’t know how to acquire those skills to respond, with either verbal or non-verbal cues, to the behaviors and opinions of people in a juncture, occasion and the like.

Just as when someone tells you, “You’re hair looks terrific!” You may either say, “You’re joking but thank you!” or “It’s not on its pinnacle yet…”


In the case of Tim – my classmate and co-editor – during the photography seminar, he made new connections again; this time with the photographers. Often, Tim would tell me, “Yes, magagamit ko yun… may connection nanaman ako!” Then he flashes a childish smile, in which he forgets to hide the left side of his teeth.

Tim is always like that whenever we attend seminars and workshops. “It’s all a matter of who you know,” he believes.

Going back, I should have had a feedback to the ambassador or something to gratify her statements. No, no, no. This is not to establish connection, which I may use like Tim does. It’s at least to repay the very first person whom I felt rapport with among all the old people I’ve met, as well as those who tried to reach me. It’s just that I was too bashful; I never had the chance to converse with the ambassador because I was afraid that she might think I don't act as sophisticated like she does. Or that I'm not an ambassador like her...

If I had the chance, I would have said, “Thank you,” flashing a facial expression that wouldn’t betray an emotion.

I wish, one day, I’ll see her again. I don't know her name; I just call her "Madame Ambassador".

I hope she would remember me.

No comments: