Happenstances and unearthing

EVERYONE ELSE SEEMED FACELESS. I was getting hold of a 10-peso coin from my purse to pay my jeepney fare. Abruptly, this familiar woman in a teacher’s uniform emerged from my vision. Her skin was brown, her forehead was diminutively oversized, her posture was low but her eyes were raging with pride…

“Ay Ma’am!” I hollered. “Kayo po pala…” I continued.


Then, I took her hand and lifted it towards by forehead (mano) and earnestly said, “Bless po?” She gave her hand, of course, and then touched it to my forehead. (In Filipino culture, this is a sign of respect for our old mentors and beloved elders.)

It was Ma’am Kit Reyes, my Music, as well as Values Education, teacher in High School back in Chevalier School. She was a good teacher, I suppose. I like her in Values Education. However, she’s better as a musician. Paradoxically speaking, I don’t like her in Music because she makes us all sing one by one; I was shivering during those times…

Going back, she stared at me for a moment on my seat in the vehicle. Then, she was flabbergasted to my features!

She said, “Ang sexy mo na ngayon!”

I was flattered, of course. Then, I answered, “Nag-gygym po ako.”

“Saan ka nagy-gym?” she asked.

“Jan po sa Essel,” I answered colloquially.

“Ang sexy mo na talaga… sumexy ka!” she repeated in astonishment.

I flashed a pleased expression. And then I said, “Weh… Hihi! Thank you po!”

“Si Valencia, yun pa din noh,” she said.

“Ah… bakit po, nakikita niyo pa siya?” I asked.

“Oo. Kasi sa Dolores ako. Vistarica siya so magkalapit lang kami. Ikaw, ang laki na ng boses mo noh?”

“Opo,” I muttered promptly.

Then, I asked her if she still teaches Music to her students. She said no. She explained that we were the last batch who took Music class from her. I told her that if that’s so, then the proceeding batches after us are fortuitous!

Back in her class then, one of our requirements was to sing a song solely. I even took my voice lessons in Ocampo’s School of Arts and Music because of that. However, taking voice lessons was not effortless. Singing is easier said than done. Not even paying thousands of pesos can make me a star in the microphone. I just don’t do singing at its pinnacle. Perhaps, singing is not my forte; it’s not what I do best!

During my performance then, I got anxious and then my lips turned purple! Perhaps, my blood circulation malfunctioned due to apprehension.

I told her that, reminiscing the bygone days of my high school life.

Back then, everyone in the class laughed. I almost got mad. However, I must accept that that’s the way life is – people laugh at you when you make mistakes. But they will extol you when they see something praiseworthy about you…

Hearing my story-telling, she chortled; I did too.

Until the jeepney was in front of Essel Subdivision already, I needed to go drop down to attend the gym sessions. I said good bye to her.

I’ll always remember what she told me.

“Sumexy ka noh!” she said.

I’m aware to my self that I did transform.

Perhaps, transformation is what I do best after all....

03.02.09

1 comment:

rich said...

OMG! Ma'am Kit! Haha! I remember her! She made us sing too... XD I think she even told us to play one instrument & based on what I remember, only 2 among our class are prepared that time... XD

Anyway, I'm from CCS... ^^ I made my picture (in my blogger account) a bit blurry for personal reasons... haha! XD