Debates and scriptwriting in a general assembly

THE CROWD WAS PIERCING and there was a contour of students seated on the bleachers and the plastic chairs. I sat on the bleachers, joined my classmates arrayed with the BS Psychology students of Arts and Sciences. I dislike making a “grand entrance” if I walk through the center aisle towards the front-most chair, so I just sat there silently…

I arrived late for the CAS general assembly.
The assembly was scheduled at 8 a.m. but I went there at about 9:00 a.m. It was forlorn that I did not witness the BAGWIS party rendering their speeches. When I arrived, the party members of KAIBIGAN were already talking. Sixto Sengson, a CBA student, was running for President of the University Student Council for the academic year 2009-2010.

I remember Sixt talking to April back then. He said, “Gusto ko lang ng simpleng buhay.” Perhaps, this is what he calls “simplicity”. Or else, he might have experienced paradigm shift.

Sixt is a very good speaker. He could answer questions readily. He can be a good debater like Edwin too. Debating requires you the power to “twist”, I suppose. Edwin has that power. Anyhow, the two of them have the same intonation when speaking.

I remember Edwin does not speak like that before. It was only when I saw Edwin and Sixt locked inside the Pioneer office that he happened to speak with such intonation.

Going back to the assembly, Mitch, sitting beside me, was really bemused regarding her vote. Until Edwin stood up and took the microphone. He posed questions to the BAGWIS party. I didn’t listen to the question. It was difficult for me to focus to his sentences for two rationales: the grammar and the intonation. (Hear and listen for yourself!)

Abruptly, Jerrence, the Presidential candidate of BAGWIS, was answering. The audience clapped and people (including Mitch) said, “Nasakat niya si Edz!” Mitch, somehow, finalized her vote by then. (I’m just not sure if who did she vote for.)

During the assembly, another girl stood up and took the microphone too. She questioned the BAGWIS Party. She asked, “Why are you not speaking in English? There are foreign students here. This student know…” (I can’t remember her exact statement, honestly; however, I remember her wrong grammar!)

Then, Reiner, BAGWIS party, answered. His answer meant as if he was trying to talk with common people who understands the vernacular language.

Then, Sixt answered paradoxically. He said, “We believe in the intellectual capacity of the CAS students that’s why we are speaking in English…” Everyone applauded for Sixt. The first one who did so was Edwin. I was baffled but there was a sentiment in me then – I recall my lessons in scriptwriting…

Afterwards, another student stood up. She was a stout lady with fair skin, guiltless facial features, and eleemosynary eyes. However, her voice was devilish.

She posed a question to Ms Junaly Marcial, a very altruistic servant student from the College of Criminal Justice Education. The lady asked, “Are you nervous?”

“Yes,” said Junaly.

“If you are nervous, then why are you running for PRO? How can you relate with people if you are nervous?” asked the lady with a debater-like aura.

Junaly answered, “Because I believe that there will come a point that I’ll go out of my nutshell and learn not being nervous someday…”

The raging lady further interrogated. She said, “Isn’t it time to go out of your nutshell today? Isn’t it now is the proper time, now that you’re campaigning! How can you be a good PRO?”

Afterwards, Junaly’s eyes turned watery…

When I found out who the lady was, I was flabbergasted! It was Ms Andrea Magat, the genius of the AB Communication freshmen in CAS. I used to admire her before because I suppose she’s the counterpart of Gypsy in the freshmen class. Gypsy is the brightest student in our seniors’ class. (Though some people say Gypsy is bookish, I suppose she’s not like that anymore. Anyhow, we no longer use textbooks…)

However, I felt disturbed by Ms Magat’s attitude. That was the first time I felt rage like angels falling from the sky seemed devils to my ears.

After few seconds, Junaly cried. She exploded with her emotions and she felt as if she’s dreadfully low.

She had an emotional breakdown, I suppose.

03.05.09

No comments: