A long-awaited text message and a warped candle

FINALLY, A FRIEND OF mine already messaged me last May 8. I thought we won’t be having any communication until May 13, or perhaps, even the entire summer of 2010 (until end of May). However, I’m wrong. The bubbly sound of my phone signaled I’ve had a message yesterday. I read it; it’s from Bert. It said, “Kumusta po?” (How are you/How is it going?”)



I know I’ve hurt Bert so much that I can’t blame him if he’ll resent me extensively. At his first message, I was flabbergasted that I was bemused on what to do.


It would be better if I won’t reply, I thought. Analytically speaking, I assumed it might enrage him more; so I just gave a feedback that I’m okay and that it’s my RD (it means rest-day from work).

He did not question me anymore regarding my current employment even though he had not heard from me since the last time we talked – I was still unemployed by then. It made me feel a bit gauche because he didn’t ask too many questions. So I just read beyond the lines – I know Bert is still adjusting to the most recent quarrel we’ve had. He is neither a robot nor a computer to delete the memories in his mind and obliterate everything in the Recycle Bin.

Afterwards, he replied and said, “Ah, Mabuti naman… Hope you’re fine…” (That’s good. I hope you are fine.)



Then, he asked me if I could drop by to their house because he would give me something, which I conjectured it might be the birthday gift he bought for me when I turned 22 last April 1. Yet I was so hesitant to say, “Yes, I’ll go there.”

I just said, “Yes, but not now…”

He replied, “Okay. Next time nalang siguro.” (Next time, you can drop by, perhaps.)

Then, I gathered enough courage to tell him that we should forget our wrangle and free ourselves from anger. Then he explicated to me that he is not mad (anymore).

We are still in the point of adjustment. I guess I must be grateful about that…

****

This morning, my mother was flabbergasted when she saw the candle on top of the table – warped!

The candle, which was supposed to be straight, has been distorted just like a faintly bent wire being used for constructions. (Please see the picture below.)



My mother showed it to my father. The latter explained that, perhaps, it was because of the scorching climate…

I wonder, is there any natural way to straighten the candle back to its original form? If yes, I wish there are also natural ways to bring back everything that has been warped, crooked, distorted (or whatever you call it) to their original, flawless form.

Time shall unearth its means, I suppose.

05.09.2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True. Time will heal you and your friend.