A sunny day with freebies and good memories

 
View of Makati City from the LKG Tower.
THE DAY WAS GLORIOUS, with a blue sky and warm sunlight. With good news, too.

I’d be getting a couple of free movie tickets, on the 19th of November, as reward for this continuous-improvement-initiative kind of thing I’d started in the process I’m responsible for. In my company, this is. The words “a couple of cinema tickets” came bouncing inside my skull after reading the message, so I assumed that would be at least two. And two tickets are worth more than four hundred bucks. Which could fill in the growling stomach of a bachelor, feeding no one but himself, for two days. Like me. Say with that amount I could do with fine bread and coffee for breakfast. Pork rib barbecue for lunch, even with a bowl of hot soup and cup of fresh vegetables. And special ham or chicken stew with an ample amount of rice for dinner. But instead of taking all the blessing for myself, I realized I should share it with my friend Marge, who as far as I remember shared some blessing with me, too, few months ago. Only I couldn’t remember what that exactly was.

Also, this morning I was able to haggle for a few more hours of good sleep, since I was expected to be at the office just by one o’clock in the afternoon. I made it to the office a couple of hours earlier, though. Even if I should stay until ten o’clock in the evening, I think one day of rising without fighting against the hardness of your legs was like waking up on the right side of your bed. As suggested by an occasional grin that visited my lips while dressing up. Fixing myself when the sun was almost well up made me recall those same old days in my previous work. That same time of the year, the same schedule. Those memories that my brain conjures up once in a while, even until now. I took a couple of seconds to appreciate my ability to remember good ones. And I find it fascinating: the way memories make me feel young again. Some memories serve to me like time machine, bringing me back to an event in the past, with that exact feeling, as though I’m there once again. They give me the kind of contentment, which has become a rarity these days, as a raise in what I receive monthly has equaled to an increase in demands. Which can sometimes be harder to satisfy despite all the resources available. Only I’d have to live a few days of thriftiness if I spend a lot, because of the recent investment I made: a condominium unit in a high-rise building at the central business district. A part of our city that is usually crawling with professionals and business people, young and old, early in the morning and at sunset, late at night even, and towering with skyscrapers.
 
As for the contentment talk, don’t get me wrong. It’s not the thing people would think. I’m happy now and I wouldn’t change the decisions I made. I’m surrounded by nice people who never fail to make me laugh and smile. Make me learn new things. Make it possible for me to invest on stuff I never imagined I would. Make me grow professionally and personally, just as the people I’d met before them made me experience in a different way. Just a bit of reminiscing can be fun once in a while, but I won’t dread the moment when I will finally have to face the present again.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Yay! I've been planning to watch Catching Fire talaga so the free tix is a blessing.

Tama yan teh, just be happy with whatever you are doing. I am sure am happy for you. Thanks for the free ticket!